I ran across this interesting metaphor for clutter – Clutter is the Cholesterol of the Home (1) . After searching the web I came across earlier usage of this metaphor by Maria Cilley – The Fly Lady in her 2002 book Sink Reflections. On page 25 she states Clutter is to our home as Cholesterol is to our arteries.
Her points in the book:
- Clutter invades the pathways of our homes
- Clutter causes stress in your life
- Clutter decreases joy in living
- Clutter pushes money away from you
- Clutter destroys closeness in families
- Clutter is a result in overindulging in stuff
- Clutter causes hearts to harden
Try using this metaphor with your own home or chronically disorganized clients.
Are there any other metaphors you use to describe clutter?
1 LA Times Opinion Article of 2013 by Howard Mansfield titled An American dilemma: Your clutter or your life.