What can you do in five minutes to make your next workday better? The number one thing you can do is clear your desk the night before. By getting your desk cleared and your “to do” ready, you can move forward faster, accomplish more and be more productive.
- Review tomorrow’s schedule and appointments
- Add in new to do’s to your electronic system or add to your paper list
- Prioritize “to Do” List for tomorrow
- Place all loose paperwork back into files
- Add in any new contacts or addresses from business cards, message slips, correspondence
- Create files or places for all new projects
- Close out your computer
- Return pens, pencils and office tools to holders or drawer
- Spend a moment reflecting on what you accomplished today
- Take a deep breath and look over your cleared desk
- Visualize having a successful day tomorrow at your workspace
- On your way out – Clear out box (deliver mail, return files)
The more you practice this process, the more likely it will become a productivity tool of great value. Try this for two weeks and let me know how you are doing.